Saturday, March 12, 2005

Zope Deja vu

It's 1999, I have downloaded Zope 1, and I managed to create a simple website that gets it's data using SQLMethods from a database. I had to learn a new markup language called dtml to get my dynamic webpages. It has no session management but not an issue at the time. To enhance it's functionality I need to create a product, that's were it starts to get hard. The documentation is minimal. But I stick with it, and six years later Zope 2 is still the Web Application Framework at work.

It's today, I have downloaded ZopeX3, and I managed to create a simple website that gets it's data using SQLMethods from a database. I had to learn a new markup language called zcml to get my dynamic webpages. It has no session management but not an issue at the time. To enhance it's functionality I need to create a product, that's were it starts to get hard.

The documentation is much better, but I seem to spend more time editting xml than actually writing code in the python. At least the coding seems more like normal python programming, and the use of components, interfaces, adaptors and testing looks promising and maybe Zope will once again lead the way as the Python Web Application Framework. The bigger question for me is, should we be considering it as a replacement for Zope 2 at work or wait and have a look in another 3 months. Or maybe we should look at Five, the Zope 3 in Zope 2 project. Just like I did with Zope 1, I will stick with it and keep playing, and hopefully it will deliver like Zope 1 and 2 did.

No comments: